top of page

A life update

Hello everyone and welcome back to another blog with Morty! In today’s blog post, I wanted to talk about what I have been up to and why I haven’t had the time to post a blog recently. Life as we all know can get busy and hectic. My life lately has been a little bit of both. I do want to clarify that it has been the ‘good busy’ and the ‘good hectic’, which I am happy that it’s not the other way around. It’s just been busier and more hectic than usual for me. So what has Morty been up to? Ok, so where do I start?

Well, I started school again. I’m taking an English course in a college program called Academic Upgrading, where I get to better my mark for one of my English credits in my high school transcript. I took the same thing last year for mathematics and ended with a final mark of 94%. Hard work pays off because math and I before that program did not get along. Even though I had all my credits necessary to get into college, I still wanted to better my marks to get into even better career programs. College prep English is okay, and I seem to be doing fine so far. The lectures are longer and at night, so that’s also been interesting to get used to.

What else have I been up to… Oh yes, I got accepted for ODSP. If you know me in person, you know that I’ve been waiting to hear this news for about a year and have been patiently waiting to hear back from them about a decision. So yes, I finally heard back that I’ve gotten accepted and approved. I’m extremely grateful and happy that things are coming along as I transition into my independent living in the near future. I still have yet to hear from available vacancies, but knowing that I also did qualify for priority housing, I know that it’ll happen when it happens and it’ll be meant to be. In the meantime, I keep working on my second phase steps to independence with my supports here at SafeHope Home.

Something else that I’ve been dealing with recently, that I’ve mentioned before pretty briefly in past blogs is, finding out that my trafficker got arrested and charged. A media release was released and let me tell you that seeing his face and dozens of charges under his name really took me a min to take in. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so relieved and thankful for what has happened and will happen depending on the decisions that will be made, but there’s a part of me that is just still in shock. I really believed him when he used to say, “I’ve been flying under the radar for 20+ years doing this, you really think I’ll get caught? I don’t even have a criminal record so good luck if you think the authorities will believe a word you say”. That was said to me 5 years ago when I first got out and I remember those words like they were just said to me yesterday. I’m happy that he got what he deserved and I’m also proud of the other girls that came forward knowing how hard and challenging this process can be for us survivors. No matter the results of the law and court process, I’m happy with what I was able to do in the investigation and to finally speak my story and truth.

Those are the main reasons why I’ve been more busy than usual. I did have something that I wanted to share with all of you, but I will save it for next week’s blog post. Letting you all know why I’ve been away was more important to me because writing the blog is an honour and something I’m extremely passionate about.

I hope you all had a great week and stay tuned for next week’s blog post with Morty!

Till next time,



bottom of page